Rawlins is a city in Carbon County, Wyoming, United States. Rawlins is located in the south-central portion of Wyoming in Carbon County the third largest county in Wyoming. It was named for Union General John Aaron Rawlins, who camped in the locality in 1867. Its southern boundary is the Wyoming/Colorado border.
The Continental Divide, which separates the eastern and western watersheds of North America, runs north and south through the county. Albuquerque, Billings, Boise, Denver, and Salt Lake City are all within a 500 mile radius from Rawlins.
- Rawlins is in the Mountain Standard Time zone.
- The latitude is 41.791N.
- The longitude is -107.238W.
- The elevation is 6,827 feet.
- The population was 9,259 at the 2010 census.
- The city is eight square miles on 5,120 acres; the county is 7,991 square miles and 5,114,240 acres.
- The climate is semi-arid with low relative humidity.
- The average annual precipitation is 10.9 inches with snowfall at 41.5 inches.
- The average temperature is 42.2 degrees, the summer average is 67.6 degrees, and the winter average is 35.8 degrees Fahrenheit, which provide for a 100-to 112-day growing season.
- SEASONS: The warm season lasts from June 10 to September 10 with an average daily high temperature above 73°F. The hottest day of the year is July 21, with an average high of 84°F and low of 55°F. During the warm season there is a 33% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (65% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms) and light rain (27%).
The cold season lasts from November 16 to March 6 with an average daily high temperature below 40°F. The coldest day of the year is December 28, with an average low of 13°F and high of 29°F. During the cold season, which lasts from November 16 to March 6, there is a 41% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light snow (77% of days with precipitation have at worst light snow) and moderate snow (16%).