Outdoor Irrigation Restrictions
Summer 2022 Water Restrictions
We have reached “Level D” as defined in Rawlins Municipal Code 13.10. Although the code does allow for more substantial restrictions to be placed, for now, the restrictions are set as:
- Residences/businesses may only water one day per week before 10 am or after 6 pm. Even-numbered residences/businesses may water on Thursdays and odd-numbered residences/businesses may water on Monday. We recommend a maximum of up to sixty minutes of watering for each zone/area of turf on the designated day. We estimate that this is enough water for each home to give their lawn one good soaking a week. This can be a "cycle and soak" process, where the irrigation is divided into multiple periods on the same day.
- If you would like to request an alternate date for turf watering (for example, during a vacation or due to personal schedules), please email firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off a letter during regular operating hours with the details of your request.
- Trees, bushes, gardens, etc., may be watered as needed using a manually operated hose with an automatic shut-off valve before 10 am or after 6 pm.
- Do not allow water to run onto or pool in gutters, streets, and sidewalks.
- Vehicles may be washed only using a manually operated hose with an automatic shut-off valve. Please only wash when you feel it is absolutely necessary and use the minimum amount of water possible.
- Washing parking lots, sidewalks, or driveways with water is prohibited except for construction, safety, and health reasons.
- Any water that can be conserved will make difference. Even the simple things, such as turning off the water while brushing teeth and fixing dripping faucets, will make a difference when done by our whole community.
- The University of Wyoming Extension Office has many resources to offer scientific advice on water prioritization, vegetation water needs, and the design of lower-water-use landscapes. They are linked to the left. The Extension Office also offers one-on-one consulting. Please call 307-328-2642.
Our ordinance allows for fines from $250-$750 for breaking the water restrictions. At least one warning will be given per residence to ensure everyone is aware before receiving a fine. Water use will be monitored by city staff throughout the town and through our meter reading software.
If you have circumstances that require more water, such as newly laid sod, or if you use a different water source for outdoor irrigation, please email email@example.com or drop off a letter during regular operating hours with a request for a permit that explains why your circumstances deserve an exception to the current restrictions. Please make sure to include your contact information and address.
2021 Water Restrictions
For an overview of the water restrictions active in Summer 2021, please click here for the information (PDF).